Monday, June 16, 2008

When it's good

My Craig's List teaser from a few weeks back? Here's the follow up.

When it's good, it's really, really good.

I've been feeling for several weeks now that I've (finally) got my groove back. Kids are sleeping relatively well (the sleep gods will surely punish me now for my impudence), kids are both expanding their palates, I'm exercising, David and I are being rock-star partners to each other, we're cooking dinner (entree AND vegetable) 3-4 times a week. Thanks to some brainstorming with a few Milk Moms and my friend A., I've got Plans A, B, and C for potentially going back to work (part-time) in the fall. And then...the basement got water, the house got fleas, and I decided to do some blog re-arranging. And it was a stressful few days.

Just as quickly, one day a couple weeks ago (before the power went out) it all changed back to good again. The girls were playing nicely by themselves and I decided to commence that day's Craig's List stalking for a wooden kitchen set. I'd lost out on things before by not acting quickly enough, and I wasn't going to let that happen today. My plans for the day to meet at the Arboretum with a friend had already been ruined by yet another day of rain, so I got it in my head that I would just let the day take us wherever it went. And boy, baby, did it take me to a dancing in the rain, silly grin on my face, happy, happy, happy place.

It took me to Leesburg, Va. for a gorgeous wooden toy kitchen set. The woman selling the set was moving to Hawaii in ten days and we just clicked while chatting. She off loaded some Robeez (THREE PAIRS), several wooden puzzles, natural felt and wool toys and a gorgeous table and three chairs! It was a downpour outside, but I did not care. The best part about it was that I felt like the price was really fair. It was reflective of her desire to sell quickly but was enough that she was getting a big chunk of change from me.

As I had been leaving my house that morning, I had been doubting whether I should drive all the way to Leesburg for this - I figured I would spend about $15-$18 for gas, plus $8 for Chick-Fil-A on the way home. I was really questioning whether I was doing this impulsively or whether I was thinking critically. But I also tried to be realistic - I had been looking at the thrift store and on Craig's List for about 4 months - not ready to buy but just trying to see what's out there. In the past 2 weeks, I started looking seriously and was ready to move if I saw what I wanted. And this was what I wanted.

OMG - I am so glad I went. Not only did I help this woman feel good about letting her stuff go (she said it was hard for her, and I fell ALL OVER MYSELF promising to take good care of it and pass it on to a deserving person when I'm done) but I also felt good for being somewhat spontaneous and resourceful enough to make it to Leesburg and back, timing it with naps and lunch and making it into an adventure for the girls. And there was no yelling and very little frustration or annoyance on my part - and that's when I feel like I might actually be kind of good at this mothering gig.

And here it is folks, in all it's glory:

And now I'm just bragging - here's the rest of my haul. (The table and chairs are disassembled until some work is completed around the house and there's more adequate room for them.)


Elaine said...

Ellen - That is the mother of all Crqaig's list finds! It is gorgeous! Is the person going overseas, by chance, because I think it might be from a family in the grades at Connor's school. Beautiful, just beautiful!

vickie2005 said...

I am so happy for you! That kitchen set is lovely.

Laurie said...

So worth the drive to Leesburg! Jackpot with a capital "J"!

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

Gorgeous stuff!! That is a great find!!

Blogging tips